xml-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 09:57:26 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> I understand your point that a single PMC overlooking a lot of
>> scattered projects doesn't scale. Still, I believe some of these
>> smallish subprojects can share a common spirit, without sharing the
>> developers community. Merging all of these will make them less visible
>> to the outside world IMHO - meaning developers can meet, merge or
>> exchange, but to prospective users it will all be one big sinkhole.
>

> IIUC this is to gently nudge them to go top-level with their own PMC.
> If they want visibility, they need take also the responsibilities.

I agree this is a good solution for the large projects with an active
community (e.g. Cocoon in the xml.a.o case). Still, I'm not sure whether
the board needs this avalanche of toplevel projects, all required to
post their STATUS once in a while, all present upon meetings, etc etc...
we'll just move the scalability problem one level up, I fear.

Also, I don't know whether this approach will help smaller communities
to mix & merge: they'll get lost without some proper identity. Do we
want incubator or commons to contain that many projects? How many people
will still have the overview?

</Steven>

http://radio.weblogs.com/0103539/2002/12/03.html#a80 ;-)
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org