xml-general mailing list archives

From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 08:45:07 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Merge or diverge.  Having community boundaries distinct from PMC
> boundaries is not sustainable.

And what about Commons and Commons-Sandbox? One can imagine these as the
refugee camps for smallish subprojects, without the 'community' to go
toplevel.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons/
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-commons-sandbox/

might contain a lot of subprojects which doesn't fit your criteria
sizewise. Should these all be put back to incubator stage? Or do they
share a common 'Commons' community?

I understand your point that a single PMC overlooking a lot of scattered
projects doesn't scale. Still, I believe some of these smallish
subprojects can share a common spirit, without sharing the developers
community. Merging all of these will make them less visible to the
outside world IMHO - meaning developers can meet, merge or exchange, but
to prospective users it will all be one big sinkhole.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org