xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org - technical organization
Date Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:13:23 GMT
---- Technical organization of xml.apache.org ----
I think Scott and perhaps others brought up the idea of having some
sort of architectural and technical organization in xml to encourage
code sharing, cross-pollination, etc.  This is an excellent idea, and
again is something that we can talk about separately from these other
issues.

I don't think we need any formal organization here - we should just do
it.  Get a few folks from each subproject to either talk on each
other's lists, or just talk here on general@.

One obvious catalyst for this can be the xml-commons subproject, which
is meant exactly to hold code that other xml subprojects want to use.
I think the 'bottom' of the xml stack is the most likely place to
start, with xerces and xalan seeing if they can agree on some common
components, perhaps like URI/URL handlers or serializers or xpath
engines.  The xalan qetest automation framework is also another
possiblity for folks who want to do more feature/system level testing.
I'm sure other projects would have ideas to share as well.

Overall, here it's up to us to actually get together and do it!

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
in a very scornful tone, 'it means just what I
choose it to mean - neither more nor less'"
"Oohayu oyod?!"=gis. />