xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 04:25:21 GMT
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 04:30:52PM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Scott Boag wrote:
>
> >Strong plus one for project-level representation, member to be voted in by
> >the given project.  I have been an advocate for this for a very long time.
>
> Further background on the HTTPD PMC model, which a number of people
> advocate that each project should follow (and, I must admit, I am
> starting to warm up to):
>
> 1) The norm is for every active committer who has been so for a period
> of time (this is approximately 6 months in the case of HTTPD) to become
> a part of the PMC.  Yes, this makes for a large PMC.
>
> 2) Any release done by the project is accomplished via a vote of that PMC.
>
> Quite a different model than we have today, eh?
>
> I feel comfortable with idea of Matt on the PMC, but uncomfortable with
> the notion of people getting to vote on actions such as releases of
> AxKit that they can't directly participate in.
>
> That's why I advocate reverting back to the policy that XML had when it
> was young that a committer to any is a commiter to all.  If there are
> any subprojects for which this does not make sense, then becoming a
> separate project does.

+1000

Tear down the walls, and any subproject who feels uncomfortably exposed
to the whims of untrusted committers can attain autonomy by becoming a
top-level project.

Eg, I am _personally_ quite happy for the whole of xml.apache.org to have
commit rights to Forrest, so I would vote for staying here.  I trust some
compromise could be made with the PMC about "majority" votes.  Others in
Forrest might vote to make Forrest a separate project, and that would
also be cool.

I suspect that once subprojects discover the sky hasn't fallen, and
they're getting small but useful commits (typo fixes etc) from non-core
committers, xml.apache.org will go on as usual but in a more open
fashion.

--Jeff