xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 12:03:48 GMT
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:53:08AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
[snip 1-vs-many PMCs]
> >>Then there's the legal stuff, which includes the visibility to the
> >>board, jar files, code without copyright, code with incompatible
> >>copyright, code with patent infringements, etc.
> >
> >Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?
>
> Ok, then let's not even try then, who cares, oh and while we're at it
> let's remove the PMCs, why are they needed, oh and the board too, oh and
> why Apache at all... get real, try to be constructive. If nobody cares,
> tell me what we should do to solve the problem instead of
> institutionalizing it.

I'm suggesting that while the PMCs are worrying about the possibility of
a LGPL jar in CVS, Microsoft might be poised to wipe Apache off the map
with 0.00001% of its legal budget because Cocoon infringes some obscure
patent of theirs.

This is a question about the legal relevance of PMCs in general, not
directly related to the current debate.  I would personally like to know
whether PMCs are any use (legally) at all, before debating whether there
should be one or many.

--Jeff