xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:50:56 GMT
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:21:19PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
> Probably my largest concern has to do with ensuring that ASF style
> processes are being followed on all projects.  This includes subjective
> measures such as "the health of the community" for a project, and
> proposal of project committers for membership in the ASF.

So.. how would making more projects top-level fix this?  As part of
xml.apache.org, subprojects at least have PMC members with some local
knowledge of the projects. Would the ASF board have known what to do with
the SOAP/WASP Lite/Axis issue?  Would board members lurk on project
lists, like XML PMC members do currently?

> Then there's the legal stuff, which includes the visibility to the
> board, jar files, code without copyright, code with incompatible
> copyright, code with patent infringements, etc.

Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?

> Then there's the issue of support from and participation in the general ASF
> infrastructure.  That's "where do I go for this or that", or "You're
> really an awesome security hack, you know, they could use some help on
> security@".

infrastructure@ is an open list, as I recently discovered.

--Jeff