xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 09:15:40 GMT
On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 07:52:42AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >That still leaves the question: in what way is the current XML PMC
> >failing in its duties.
>
> What do you think its duties are?

>From observing Jakarta and XML, I'd say:

a) Voting on new projects
b) Keeping things vaguely legal. Checking that projects don't sneak
@year@ tokens into licenses, etc.

> >I can see that the Jakarta PMC might have missed stuff happening in the
> >depths of Commons and Avalon, but xml.apache.org is a much quieter place.
>
> The Xml PMC cannot review all code commits and placement of jars and
> licenses, and at the same time ensure that the Apache process for
> guidelines is followed, it's just too much work.

Review code commits for _what_?

Should the ASF be checking its code for patent infringements?  If so,
then to credibly do its job the PMC must be composed of patent lawyers,
and the ASF should start playing the patents game: don't sue us on patent
X or we'll countersue on patent Y.  Come to think of it, how come MS
hasn't sued Apache already, to get rid of this pesky IIS competitor?
Maybe because they're nice guys who prefer to compete than sue?  Haha.

> How much time has the xml site been in need of an overhaul and fixes?
> How come the Xang project was still listed in the same space as the
> other active projects?

Yes, it's the PMC's job to fix these things.  We are powerless ;)

> Where is the STATUS file detailed in the guidelines
> (http://xml.apache.org/source.html#N10028) in most projects?
> These points do not seem to be clearly part of the PMC mission ATM
> http://xml.apache.org/management.html , but in fact are.

Interestingly, that page seems to suggest that reviewing every patch is
not a PMC function.

  "The PMC may not necessarily participate in the day-to-day coding.."

> ATM it's humanly impossible for the Xml PMC to do all this with all the
> projects and communities it has.

+1 for making them work harder. Policing code must be deeply rewarding
anyway :o)

--Jeff