xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:08:51 GMT
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 02:59:52PM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Jeff Turner wrote:
> [...]
> >Let's clarify exactly what is broken before fixing it.
>
> If you are not part of a PMC, you have no legal protection from the ASF.

I understood that:

 - the ASF legal entity is there to protect ASF _members_
 - PMC member != ASF member.  Eg, we're both Avalon PMC members, but if
   someone were to sue us, that would not benefit us.

Thus, forming PMCs and flattening the structure in no way lessens the
legal risk taken by non-member committers (the vast majority).  If I'm
wrong on this important point, please correct me.

That still leaves the question: in what way is the current XML PMC
failing in its duties.

I can see that the Jakarta PMC might have missed stuff happening in the
depths of Commons and Avalon, but xml.apache.org is a much quieter place.

<snip good quotes>

--Jeff