xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Leung" <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Thu, 05 Dec 2002 06:25:32 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Turner" <jefft@apache.org>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 1:50 AM
Subject: Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

> On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 11:21:19PM -0800, Ted Leung wrote:
> > Probably my largest concern has to do with ensuring that ASF style
> > processes are being followed on all projects.  This includes subjective
> > measures such as "the health of the community" for a project, and
> > proposal of project committers for membership in the ASF.
>
> So.. how would making more projects top-level fix this?  As part of
> xml.apache.org, subprojects at least have PMC members with some local
> knowledge of the projects. Would the ASF board have known what to do with
> the SOAP/WASP Lite/Axis issue?  Would board members lurk on project
> lists, like XML PMC members do currently?

I'm not convinced that top-leveling will fix this.  My original message
contained a list
of possiblities.  You'll also note that I proposed expanding the existing
PMC.

> > Then there's the legal stuff, which includes the visibility to the
> > board, jar files, code without copyright, code with incompatible
> > copyright, code with patent infringements, etc.
>
> Hmm.. anyone care to guess how many patents Cocoon infringes?

I hope none.  But right now, I have to hope, because there's no way I can
know -- I
can't keep up w/ all the commits to all of xml.

> > Then there's the issue of support from and participation in the general
ASF
> > infrastructure.  That's "where do I go for this or that", or "You're
> > really an awesome security hack, you know, they could use some help on
> > security@".
>
> infrastructure@ is an open list, as I recently discovered.

Yes, but how did you discover the list...