xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Leung" <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: The organization of xml.apache.org
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 07:06:36 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicolaken@apache.org>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: The organization of xml.apache.org

> Steven Noels wrote:
> > Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> >
> >> Steven Noels wrote:
> >

> >> Less structure, more responsibility.
> >

> > ACK

> >> Apart from having all commit privileges to all jakarta projects, I
> >> don't see why this will necessarily change communities. They don't
> >> have to mix and merge, they are simply becoming aware that they are
> >> part of Jakarta, or have to go top-level.
> >>
> >> Increasing awareness of what Jakarta and Xml.Apache really are -
> >> projects - instead of pretending they are smaller Apaches.
> >

> > Point taken & agree.
> >
> > Getting back to the original question however, it felt like Ted (as XML
> > PMC member) came to ask us what this XML project needs to be, i.e. what
> > the XML PMC should take care off. If everyone leaves and becomes a
> > toplevel project (which I don't believe will happen), what will happen
> > to the XML project then?
>
> If (as you believe will not happen) not all projects become top-level,
> there is no problem.
> If all go top-level, they will be happy of it, since they are not
> obliged to do it, so itìs still not a problem.
>
> Bottom line: tell everyone what should be done, ie top-level or in the
> same xml project.
>
> If something is needed, it will naturally remain.
> If it's not it will naturally go away.

I am not trying to tell anyone or any project what to do.  I am trying to
help the
xml.apache.org community understand some issues which I did not understand
that well myself until recently.    I haven't come to a conclusive opinion
on what
should be done.  Sam and I talked at ApacheCon, and at the point where that
discussion occurred, I was feeling very much that we ought to push the xml
subprojects to become top level projects.  A few days later I had lunch with
Dirk, and he pointed out that top-leveling all the projects is not a panacea
for
some of the issues in some of the projects, and so my enthusiasm for
top-leveling
has cooled somewhat.   My opinions on this are evolving.  My hope is that as
we
discuss, people will be able to determine the merits of  the various
solutions for
the projects that they are involved with, and take appropriate action.

Ted