xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: TCK compliance [was: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar]
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:31:45 GMT
Hi Elliott,

Looks to me like the XML 1.1 CR spec requires XML 1.1 processors to treat
XML documents explicitly declared to be 1.0-compliant, or implicitly
declared so by not including a version pseudoattribute, as they would be
treated by an XML 1.0 processor.  All that to say:  unless the TCK
explicitly contains tests that a processor reject documents that claim to
be XML 1.1 (which I don't believe it currently does), then there shouldn't
be anything preventing a 1.1-compliant parser from passing the JAXP 1.2
TCK.  So, hopefully there won't be any problems, on this front at least.

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Elliotte Rusty   |
|         |           Harold           |
|         |           <elharo@metalab.u|
|         |           nc.edu>          |
|         |           11/07/2002 11:10 |
|         |           general          |

At 10:54 AM -0500 11/7/02, Elena Litani wrote:
>JAXP 1.2 conformance section states that all implementations of JAXP
>need to be conformant to the following specifications: XML 1.0 Rec., SAX
>2.0, XSLT 1.0, and DOM Level 2 Core.
>
>So what happens when new versions of the specifications come out, i.e.
>XML 1.1 (CR), SAX 2.0.1, XSLT 2.0 and DOM Level 3 Core?

Of those, I think XML 1.1 is the only one that matters. I think the
other three are all strict supersets of the earlier specs. (Well,
XSLT isn't; but the version attribute lets you figure out which
version you've got a hold of.) I don't think you can be compliant
with SAX 2.0.1 or DOM3 without being compatible with SAX 2.0 and DOM
2. XML 1.1 is an issue.