xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:28:03 GMT
Hi James,

>I can well imagine some poor soul out there with both xml-apis.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar along with another assorted bunch of jars on their
classpath in some web application then having class loading problems.

Actually, since xml-apis is (or it is everyone's goal that it be) a strict
superset of xmlParserAPIs, in that it contains one package with subpackages
that xmlParserAPIs doesn't, then this is one instance where classpath
ordering shouldn't matter at all.  Now if you were to deploy the wrong one
in a webapp, you could admittedly still get burned.  But modern tooling
should be smart enough to make sure what you're deploying doesn't have any
unfilled dependencies.  Shouldn't it?  :)

Cheers!
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           "James Strachan" |
|         |           <james_strachan@y|
|         |           ahoo.co.uk>      |
|         |           11/06/2002 03:06 |
|         |           general          |

From: <neilg@ca.ibm.com>
> Hi folks,
>
> No confusion would have arisen, of course, if somebody at maven hadn't
> decided to rename xmlParserAPIs (or reformat xml-apis).  Does anyone have
> contacts in the maven world who could straighten this out?

Yes - I'll try sort this out. I'll ensure that all the xml-apis.jar
versions
are actually full copies of JAXP. (Probably by just replacing any dodgy
copies with the latest that ships with Xalan)

> Personally, I believe that were Xerces to start shipping the transform
> interfaces, confusion would simply migrate from lists like this to Xerces
> lists...  In the final analysis there's no way to demonstrate this one
way
> or the other except by trying the experiment--and then there's no way
back.
> So unless there were some really compelling reason to change, I for one
> wouldn't want to see Xerces change in the near future.
>
> But there are lots of other xerces committers.  :)  If folks want to
lobby,
> xerces-j-dev is the place to go.

Just having confirmation that xml-apis.jar should always have a full JAXP
is
enough for me to move on - many thanks everyone, my mind is now at rest.

However, while we're talking about it... I'm sure having both
xmlParserAPIs.jar and xml-apis.jar used by Xerces + Xalan could well
confuse
folks out there though I totally understand the Xerces communities
reasoning
for doing it. I can well imagine some poor soul out there with both
xml-apis.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar along with another assorted bunch of
jars
on their classpath in some web application then having class loading
problems.

Maybe this could be a FAQ entry somewhere:

* If you need an XSLT engine, you must use xml-apis.jar and don't need
xmlParserAPIs.jar. Indeed having both of them on your class path could
cause
problems.

* If you don't need XSLT and just need XML parsing, you only need
xmlParserAPIs.jar though having xml-apis.jar would work too.

I think I'd recommend general XML users to just use xml-apis.jar and forget
about xmlParserAPIs.jar that comes with Xerces unless you really know what
you're doing.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/