xml-general mailing list archives

From David Marston/Cambridge/IBM <david_mars...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: TCK compliance [was: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar]
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:18:38 GMT

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:
>At 10:54 AM -0500 11/7/02, Elena Litani wrote:
>>[snip]
>>So what happens when new versions of the specifications come out, i.e.
>>XML 1.1 (CR), SAX 2.0.1, XSLT 2.0 and DOM Level 3 Core?

>Of those, I think XML 1.1 is the only one that matters. I think the
>other three are all strict supersets of the earlier specs. (Well,
>XSLT isn't; but the version attribute lets you figure out which
>version you've got a hold of.)

I think the XSL Working Group is still considering whether to make
1.0 stylesheet compatibility an optional module. Furthermore,
XPath 1.0 compatibility may be either a module or a special mode
that must be activated. Backward compatibility may not happen
transparently and/or may be limited to certain processors.
Wait and see.
.................David Marston