xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:29:42 GMT
Hi James,

If you download any version of Xerces2, I very much hope you *don't* get a
file called xml-apis.jar, because we don't ship one.  :)  Our api jar is
xmlParserAPIs.jar.

xmlParserAPIs.jar should always be a proper subset of xml-apis.jar from a
similar version of Xalan.  That isn't true at the moment, but that'll get
straightened out shortly.

Xerces has never shipped the transform half of JAXP.  That's because we've
always felt it's misleading to users--especially newbies--to ship
interfaces we neither need nor implement.  If you just want a parser, you
don't need to know about the transform half of JAXP and you can happily
stick with xerces; if you need an XSLT processor, you can grab Xalan which
will come with an appropriate xerces implementation and all the APIs you
need.  (Does Xalan ship our xmlParserAPIs file?  I doubt they do; I hope
they don't.  :) )

Hope that helps,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           "James Strachan" |
|         |           <james_strachan@y|
|         |           ahoo.co.uk>      |
|         |           11/06/2002 12:16 |
|         |           general          |

  |       To:       <general@xml.apache.org>
                                                            |
  |       cc:
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar

I've just downloaded the latest & greatest xerces and xalan and they both
come with a jar called xml-apis.jar but seem to contain different bits of
the XML-api set. Most notably the one with xerces doesn't come with the
XSLT
part of JAXP. Is this by design or just an oversight?

Things are getting a bit confusing. We've jaxp.jars lying around the place,
then 2 different kinds of xml-apis.jars which may or may not contain the
JAXP API to work with XSLT. (I'm not even gonna go into old xerces or xalan
jars that have some of JAXP inside them).

Any chance we could come up with a new single JAR that always comes with
SAX, DOM and all of JAXP? Maybe this could just be a new version of
xml-apis.jar; we just need to upgrade Xerces to come with the full-monty
version?

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/