xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:34:16 GMT
Hi Costin,

There's a number of people from Sun in the Xerces community, so I think
that if there were a problem with the way things are done we would have
heard about it.  And this seems to make sense too, both for historical
reasons (JAXP 1.0 had no transformation component at all) and because if a
product claiming to implement JAXP had to implement both halves, then you'd
have to get parsing services through the intermediation of an XSLT
processor.  Not being able to have a freestanding parser implementing an
API with the word "parse" in its name would be rather odd.  :)

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Costin Manolache |
|         |           <cmanolache@yahoo|
|         |           .com>            |
|         |           11/06/2002 02:08 |
|         |           general          |

  |       To:       general@xml.apache.org
                                                      |
  |       cc:
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar

Did anyone checked the license on jaxp ?

I know some JSRs do not allow distribution of modified ( incomplete )
APIs.

I think someone should check that.

It may help to have some link to point that if people want a
'JAXP' implementation they need to download both xalan and xerces
( or just xalan - as it includes both ). Xerces distribution only
has 1/2 of JAXP.

Costin