xml-general mailing list archives

From Edwin Goei <edwi...@sun.com>
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:57:38 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> From: <neilg@ca.ibm.com>
>
>>Hi folks,
>>
>>No confusion would have arisen, of course, if somebody at maven hadn't
>>decided to rename xmlParserAPIs (or reformat xml-apis).  Does anyone have
>>contacts in the maven world who could straighten this out?
>

> Yes - I'll try sort this out. I'll ensure that all the xml-apis.jar versions
> are actually full copies of JAXP. (Probably by just replacing any dodgy
> copies with the latest that ships with Xalan)

BTW, Sun does not ship a single xml-apis.jar with the JAXP RI.  Instead
this is split into a jaxp-api.jar, sax.jar, and dom.jar.  The reason for
this is b/c of the endorsed standards rules for JDK 1.4 where newer
versions of sax and dom are allowed, but not
javax.xml.{parsers,transform}.  There is more info on this at
http://xml.apache.org/~edwingo/jaxp-faq.html.

I've also posted some other messages on this topic a while back ago to
either general@xml.apache.org or xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org which may
have been archived somewhere.

-Edwin

PS: I haven't had a chance to read all the mail on this topic yet.