xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:51:23 GMT
If ya wanna talk turkey about xml-apis.jar, then come over to the
commons-dev@xml list.  But general answers follow:

- xml-apis.jar should always have the full DOM/SAX/JAXP set in it.  The
specific versions of these files may change; in the near future we hope
to have one that is TCK-compatible but has implementation fixes from
the original TCK-supported versions of each.  The work to get the
sources all at appropriate versions will be happening somewhat soon in
xml-commons.

- xml-apis.jar is a product of the xml-commons project.  xml-xalan
simply takes a version of this (plus a .tar.gz of sources) and re-ships
it along with xalan.jar/xsltc.jar, plus a single copy of
xercesImpl.jar.  Xalan will never ship xmlParserAPIs.jar.

- Neil's already talked about xmlParserAPIs.jar.  Personally, I'd
rather see us focus on the larger usability picture (and all use
xml-apis.jar) rather than the strict only-what-we-need picture, but
then again I'm not an xml-xerces committer so I'll let them do what
they will.  8-)

- IMO jaxp.jar is useful for historical purposes only, and you'd to
humanity a service if you caught it in a little glass jar and put it in
a museum every time you saw a copy of it still running around.

- Old versions of both Xerces and Xalan did indeed have 'monolithic'
jars; hopefully most everyone has updated to more modern versions.

- Remember that 3rd party vendors can and do re-ship Apache projects
with different packaging.  If you find some wierd jars in your
CommercialFooEngine, then don't ask us, ask the CommercialFoo people
what's where.  This also goes for any JDK 1.4 installs, since the JDK
vendors each have their own internal packaging of JAXP related classes
in the JDK et al; we have no control over that.

Did this help any?  <big-grin/>

I'll try to add more bits of info when I forrest-ize the xml-commons
doc set.  In my spare time - yeah.

- Shane