xml-general mailing list archives

From Paul Tomsic <ptom...@yahoo.com>
Subject xml files, in the database or on the filesystem?
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 16:06:29 GMT
we're using a good deal of XML in our application
(XSL[t] for front-end display, SVG and command driven
XML for image creation, etc.)

right now, we're just leaving the XMLs/SVGs, etc.
on the file system, and getting a hold of them for
manipulation by using FileInputStreams.
I was always taught that putting things in a DB is
safer, but I can't produce a compelling argument for
one side or the other.

Is there a pro/con argument that says, "leave the xmls
on the file system" -or- "put them all into the
database" ?

When I say database, I'm merely talking about a simple
two column table that contains (ID, TEXT) where ID is
the pkey, and text is all the information in the XML.

thoughts?

thanks,
Paul