xml-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: is there such a thing as a common xml-apis.jar
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 20:06:35 GMT
From: <neilg@ca.ibm.com>
> Hi folks,
> No confusion would have arisen, of course, if somebody at maven hadn't
> decided to rename xmlParserAPIs (or reformat xml-apis).  Does anyone have
> contacts in the maven world who could straighten this out?

Yes - I'll try sort this out. I'll ensure that all the xml-apis.jar versions
are actually full copies of JAXP. (Probably by just replacing any dodgy
copies with the latest that ships with Xalan)

> Personally, I believe that were Xerces to start shipping the transform
> interfaces, confusion would simply migrate from lists like this to Xerces
> lists...  In the final analysis there's no way to demonstrate this one way
> or the other except by trying the experiment--and then there's no way
> So unless there were some really compelling reason to change, I for one
> wouldn't want to see Xerces change in the near future.
> But there are lots of other xerces committers.  :)  If folks want to
> xerces-j-dev is the place to go.

Just having confirmation that xml-apis.jar should always have a full JAXP is
enough for me to move on - many thanks everyone, my mind is now at rest.

However, while we're talking about it... I'm sure having both
xmlParserAPIs.jar and xml-apis.jar used by Xerces + Xalan could well confuse
folks out there though I totally understand the Xerces communities reasoning
for doing it. I can well imagine some poor soul out there with both
xml-apis.jar and xmlParserAPIs.jar along with another assorted bunch of jars
on their classpath in some web application then having class loading

Maybe this could be a FAQ entry somewhere:

* If you need an XSLT engine, you must use xml-apis.jar and don't need
xmlParserAPIs.jar. Indeed having both of them on your class path could cause

* If you don't need XSLT and just need XML parsing, you only need
xmlParserAPIs.jar though having xml-apis.jar would work too.

I think I'd recommend general XML users to just use xml-apis.jar and forget
about xmlParserAPIs.jar that comes with Xerces unless you really know what
you're doing.

Do You Yahoo!?