xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Stylebook question
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:35:20 GMT
On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 10:20:30AM +0200, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:

> --On Dienstag, 10. September 2002 15:46 +1000 Jeff Turner
> <jefft@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 02:10:15PM +0200, Christian Geuer-Pollmann wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>what's the appropriate list for questions on stylebook issues?
> >
> >Stylebook is dead, but it's successor (both the DTD and the software) is
> >being discussed on forrest-dev@xml.apache.org. See
> >http://xml.apache.org/forrest/
>

> Hi Jeff,
>
> as long as Xerces and Xalan use stylebook, I don't see why stylebook is
> dead.

:) Sorry, I should distinguish:

 - The 'stylebook' software, in the module xml-stylebook, is ancient,
   unmaintained, and only there so that future net archaeologists will
   have something to play with. See attached email.
 - The 'stylebook' DTD is still in active use. It is being developed as
   part of forrest.

> I need a quick advise whether I use stylebook correctly for the
> xml-security project and do not want to spend much time on forrest as
> long as it is not in production mode for full xml.apache.org.

Go for it. There's stylesheets for converting stylebook to Docbook, and
the flavor Forrest is working on, so you're future-proof as long as you
stick to a known DTD.

As for doc processing, I've just finished a site using Forrest and can
vouch that it does work, despite being v0.1, and is great if your site is
more complicated than one-transformation XML to HTML.

> Anyhow, what's the appropriate list (even if it's dead)?

There isn't one anymore, it's that dead.

--Jeff