xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:45:57 GMT
Hi Paul,

cc'ing the xerces-j-user list, since that's probably where we should take
this discussion.

I have a feeling you probably already know this, but the Schema for Schemas
certainly isn't needed to use Xerces to validate a schema without an
instance document.  (In fact, although the Schema for Schemas is normative,
there are many kinds of schema constraints that it simply can't capture; so
you wouldn't be well-advised to use it--if schema-validation is all you
want--even were Xerces to process it correctly).

For a sample program that shows you how to do this, look at our
xni.XMLGrammarBuilder sample.  Basically, all you need to do is tell Xerces
to preparse a schema, and it will validate that schema to the best of its
abilities as it builds its internal representation of it.

Hope that helps,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Paul Libbrecht   |
|         |           <paul@activemath.|
|         |           org>             |
|         |           08/29/2002 05:37 |
|         |           general          |

  |       To:       general@xml.apache.org
                                                      |
  |       cc:
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]:  Xerces-J 2.1.0 is now available

Mmmh,

How can I do it then to have an Apache schema-validating parser that can
validate a schema ??

Paul