xml-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: CfP: Apache JAXB Implementation Project
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 21:56:40 GMT
On Monday, August 5, 2002, at 08:56 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> I definitely applaud your effort to organize a sensible team and plan
> for implementing JAXB!  There's been a lot of confusion in the outside
> world about JAXB, and it sounds like that was due to plenty of
> confusion inside the JAXB world...
>
> On the other hand, the ASF is really about projects with existing bases
> of vibrant communities, not projects looking for a home.  In some
> cases, I'd rather start a new project with a bunch of committed
> developers that was only beta code, rather than a solid product with
> only one or two developers.  It's the dedication and organization of
> the communities themselves that makes Apache work - code just happens
> to be the way it's expressed.
>
> My personal suggestion would be to start your project at your existing
> site or sourceforge, and then once you've built up a community of
> developers who show commitment to the project, come back to general@xml
> with your project proposal again.
>
> In any case, please let us know how your project goes!  A JAXB
> implementation community would be a great addition to the
> xml.apache.org umbrella.

+1 (very nicely put :)

if you do take this advice, it's probably worth re-posting your call for
collaborators on the general list at jakarta. (beware, though, that people
can be a bit more brusk over there in jakarta land...)

you might also like to have a mailing list ready where a community can
form to discuss these plans.

finally - good luck!

- robert