xml-general mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Xml-commons
Date Sat, 10 Aug 2002 12:56:57 GMT
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 01:39:44PM -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> I've some String based Xml utils that are currently split between my
> personal codebase or in Jakarta Commons Util. The general nature of it all
> is to make Xml handling easier for small things.
>
> So some simple Xml semi-parsing functions that let you pull data easily
> from Xml snippets without having to bash together a full on parser, and an
> XmlWriter for outputting Xml nicely [see
> http://www.techrepublic.com/images/ads/c005_builder.html or
> http://techupdate.zdnet.fr/story/0,,t381-s2109583,00.html for french].
>
> None of it is very high-brow, but I feel it solves small-time issues
> nicely.
>
> My questions are:
>
> 1) Is it an xml.apache.org thing or a jakarta.apache.org thing?
> 2) Xml-Commons or Jakarta.Commons.Util.xml
> 3) Where do I discuss Xml-Commons.

The commons-dev@xml.apache.org list.

According to the charter, and clarified on the list, xml-commons is for
common code in existing xml.apache.org projects, not a repository for
generally useful XML code.

There have been a few suggestions for an xml-tools project for generally
useful code, which have been met with approval but no action. Would you
like to help start one?  I have some code to contribute
(doctypechanger.sf.net). Ordinarily I'd suggest sticking to
Jakarta-commons, but it's getting really crowded over there, so starting
an XML-specific Commons-equivalent makes some sense.

--Jeff