xml-general mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <...@ispsoft.de>
Subject Re: CfP: Apache JAXB Implementation Project
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 20:05:07 GMT

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> But do they solve in any fashion the classical
> problem of generative approach where a change
> in the Schema/DTD/IDL requires a regeneration of
> the classes and the loss of possibly new code ?

That depends (also classical  on your discipline.
Of course you must not edit the generated classes.

In JaxMe this problem is attached with two mechanisms:

 - For smaller additions you have the possibility
   to let your own code be added to the generated
   classes. For an example see

     http://jaxme.sourceforge.net/examples/misc/implements.xsd

 - Of course it is questionable whether Java code should
   be added to the schema. The recommended approach is
   not using the generated classes directly, but derived
   subclasses. This can be done by configuring the
   factory.

Such things are of course not proposed by JAXB. Which is
another reason why I wouldn't want to stick with the
official implementation.

Regards,

Jochen