xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: CfP: Apache JAXB Implementation Project
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 19:56:23 GMT
I definitely applaud your effort to organize a sensible team and plan
for implementing JAXB!  There's been a lot of confusion in the outside
world about JAXB, and it sounds like that was due to plenty of
confusion inside the JAXB world...

On the other hand, the ASF is really about projects with existing bases
of vibrant communities, not projects looking for a home.  In some
cases, I'd rather start a new project with a bunch of committed
developers that was only beta code, rather than a solid product with
only one or two developers.  It's the dedication and organization of
the communities themselves that makes Apache work - code just happens
to be the way it's expressed.

My personal suggestion would be to start your project at your existing
site or sourceforge, and then once you've built up a community of
developers who show commitment to the project, come back to general@xml
with your project proposal again.

In any case, please let us know how your project goes!  A JAXB
implementation community would be a great addition to the
xml.apache.org umbrella.

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
in a very scornful tone, 'it means just what I
choose it to mean - neither more nor less'"
"Oohayu oyod?!"=gis. />