xml-general mailing list archives

From ne...@ca.ibm.com
Subject Re: [Announce] New version of JAXP javax.xml.{parsers,transform} code
Date Fri, 19 Jul 2002 21:06:35 GMT
Hi Edwin,

I guess this really isn't a development list, so we should probably find
some other forum at some point; but hopefully this won't bother others too
much.

Great work here; this looks really robust!  My only concern is that, if the
context class loader has been set, there's no fallback to the bootstrap
classloader in case the thread's classloader can't find the class.  I know
of environments that rely on this kind of behaviour, so I'm hoping you'll
be willing to change FactoryFinder to allow it.  To help, here's a patch
that I *think* would do the trick (though I haven't tested it very
thoroughly):  (See attached file: FactoryFinder-diff.txt)

Please look it over and tel me what you think!

Cheers,
Neil
Neil Graham
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
Phone:  905-413-3519, T/L 969-3519
E-mail:  neilg@ca.ibm.com

|         |           Edwin Goei       |
|         |           <edwingo@sun.com>|
|         |           07/18/2002 09:48 |
|         |           general          |

  |       To:       "general@xml.apache.org" <general@xml.apache.org>
                                                            |
  |       cc:       Neil Graham/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
                                                      |
  |       Subject:  [Announce] New version of JAXP javax.xml.{parsers,transform} code

Hi all,

I've updated the JAXP API classes under the javax.xml.{parsers,
transform} packages to implement the following:

1) Added doPrivilege blocks so the code can be used in environments such
as servlet and EJB containers which have SecurityManagers installed.  (I
believe this is required by the EJB spec.)

2) Code looks for a Service Provider using the context ClassLoader (if
set) or the current ClassLoader

The code exists in xml-commons under java/external/**.  Unfortunately
implementing #1 made it very difficult to also get the code to compile
under JDK 1.1.  However, the code will *run* with JDK 1.1 and above.
For this reason, the code has been checked into a separate branch
"java2-branch" under xml-commons/java/external/**.

-Edwin

PS: This message could have been cross-posted to xerces-j-dev,
xalan-dev, and commons-dev, but I thought it would be easiest to post to
general instead in case of followups.