xml-general mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Progressive parsing
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:58:11 GMT
Hi,

Although this request only about parsing, I think it looks to be general
enough to be posted in this list.

Here's a simple problem: one of our applications reads a row of XML
documents, all using the same DTD declarations. If I understand well, at
least from the SAX or JAXP interfaces, the parser will read the DTD(s)
completely everytime.
This looks like a real resource loss. Do some parsers, and preferably a
standard, have a way to avoid this and re-use the same parsed DTD
everytime ??

A related fact is in the building of an XML editor where you offer the
user the ability to edit the source code: what you would like is that
the internal XML representation becomes updated quickly (ideally all the
time). For this, however, we would need the parser to be able to only
parse, say, the biggest element containing the changes.
And for this, some more information should be kept, at least something
similar to a stack of namespaces for each location.

Did anyone hear of such approaches ??
Thanks in advance.

Paul