xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Announce] CyberNeko Tools for XNI 2002.06.18 Available
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:39:06 GMT
James Strachan wrote:
> One question though; your Pipeline processor looks to be based on the W3C
> DOM (at least from the documentation, I've not surfed the code yet). Did you
> consider making a SAX or XNI based pipeline engine? If so what were the
> reasons for having a DOM based pipeline?

Yeah, I knew people would ask about that. I expect
documents are going to be used multiple times so I
figured it would be easiest to base the system on a
tree API. And since the DOM is the standard tree
API, it was the natural choice. (I know you would
disagree and prefer to use DOM4J, though. :)

Depending on what I need to do with the tool, I may
end up adding additional ways to pass information
from stage to stage. Adding SAX would be a natural
choice, of course. However, performance is not one
of my major priorities and adding other APIs would
just increase the size of the code which IS one of
my major priorities. Right now the Jar is 25K.

> Incidentally I'm working on a Java and XML based processing engine called
> Jelly...

 From what I can tell from the docs, it looks quite
impressive. I'll definitely look into it more when
I get a chance. However, it looks a lot bigger than
what I need to do. The Jelly jar is 122K and it has
a long line of requirements. (Excluding the XML
parser and XSLT processor, what is the total size
of required Jar files to run a typical Jelly
script?)

> representation for using Cybernecko processors, but it means we can then mix
> and match other tag libraries into the script too; like iterating and
> conditional branching using various expression languages (Jexl, XPath,
> Beanshell, JavaScript etc), iterating over files using Ant's <fileset>'s,
> executing Ant tasks inside the script, invoking SOAP services, using tag
> macros, performing SQL or working with beans in a Velocity way etc.

Cool.

> Thoughts? (I hope some of this made some sense ;-)

I'll have to digest it all first. :)

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org