xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New JAXP FAQ
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2002 12:17:28 GMT
Well, as in any licensing issue, the devil is in the details.  Which
copy of the file are you wondering about?

As far as I can tell, all the source code in xml.apache.org's
xml-commons repository is either covered under the apache license (in
each source file) or covered under clearly marked LICENSE files (mainly
SAX and DOM code).  Thus if you get
javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory.java from an xml-commons
release, it should be covered under the apache license.  If you get the
same file from Sun in one of their releases, it will be covered under
whatever their license is.

It sounds like some of this commentary is really towards the JCP; while
there are a few JCP members who may read this list, it's not really the
appropriate place for it.

(Perhaps one answer you're looking for is: go get the latest Xalan or
Xerces build - within it, you should find both the implementations and
interfaces from the appropriate parts of JAXP, all clearly covered
under the apache license.  Whatever the Sun distribution site seems to
say, if you get the software from xml.apache.org, it's covered under
the licenses included in that distribution, not the ones from Sun's
site)

Notes:
- I am not a lawyer, so take my ideas with a grain of legal salt.
- This email represents solely my own personal opinions, and in no way
reflects upon or is connected in any way with my employer (who happens
to be IBM)
- Edwin - thanks for the updated FAQ!
- Oh, and remember: there is no jaxp.jar anymore; hasn't been for a
while.

=====
- Shane

<eof .sig="'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said,
in a very scornful tone, 'it means just what I
choose it to mean - neither more nor less'"
"Oohayu oyod?!"=gis. />