xml-general mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james_strac...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Announce] CyberNeko Tools for XNI 2002.06.18 Available
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:23:25 GMT
Hi Andy

The CyberNeko Tools for XNI and the Style Processor looks very interesting
stuff indeed!

One question though; your Pipeline processor looks to be based on the W3C
DOM (at least from the documentation, I've not surfed the code yet). Did you
consider making a SAX or XNI based pipeline engine? If so what were the
reasons for having a DOM based pipeline?

Incidentally I'm working on a Java and XML based processing engine called
Jelly...

<quickIntro>
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/

Jelly is a lot like JSP custom tags, where a fully qualified name can be
matched to a 'Tag' which performs some action. Jelly is a bit like Ant with
pluggable expresssion languages like XPath and Velocity (Jexl is the core
expression language that looks a whole lot like Velocity and is a super set
of the expression language in JSTL and JSP 2.0). But also Jelly is like
Cocoon, its is based on an XML pipeline architecture too - which currently
is based on SAX. So a Jelly script is XML and the output is SAX events and
each Jelly Tag can consume, filter, transform or emit SAX events as well as
working with variables like Ant/JSP/Velocity.

Jelly is totally modular and can be extended with custom tag libraries.
There's a whole host of existing tag libraries for it, such as a subset of
the JSTL tags for working with beans, XML, XPath, XSLT and SQL. There's a
tag library for working with Ant tasks. Its on the to do list to implement
an MSV tag library for validating SAX events (the body of a tag) against an
arbitrary schema language (DTD, XML Schema, RelaxNG, TREX or Relax), along
with implementing a STX tag library for transforming SAX events.
</quickIntro>

Now it could well be that we could use the XNI Tools inside Jelly, by
binding your pipeline processors to qualified names (jelly tags). e.g.

<!-- ported the 2nd example from your docs -->
<output:html file="index.html">
    <xslt:transform xslt="foo.xsl">
        <parse:xml uri="index.xml">
    </xslt:transform>
</output:html>

Incidentally the above could be implemented using a SAX or DOM pipeline.

Now this might not seem too useful at first, its just another XML
representation for using Cybernecko processors, but it means we can then mix
and match other tag libraries into the script too; like iterating and
conditional branching using various expression languages (Jexl, XPath,
Beanshell, JavaScript etc), iterating over files using Ant's <fileset>'s,
executing Ant tasks inside the script, invoking SOAP services, using tag
macros, performing SQL or working with beans in a Velocity way etc.

Also we could investigate mixing and matching SAX/XNI based and DOM based
pipeline mechanisms together in one script; turning SAX/XNI events into DOM
objects when it makes sense and leaving things as straight SAX if we can
too.

Thoughts? (I hope some of this made some sense ;-)

James