xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Xerces Sub-Projects (was "How to start writing a non-blocking SAX parser")
Date Thu, 02 May 2002 15:08:52 GMT
[That thread was getting a bit too deep. ;)]

Ted Leung wrote:
> > projects that are built on (or using) Xerces. This is the
> > direction that my NekoHTML parser seems to be leaning as
> > well.
>
> I would be interested in seeing this make it into Xerces2, perhaps
> initially as a sample of how to use XNI.   I'd be willing to do commits
> / bug fixes to make this happen.

If it's just to be included as a sample, I'd just as well
keep it hosted separately and point to it from the XNI Manual.
There seems to be a stigma among people that "sample" code is
not production ready.

> It seems to me that NekoHTML could be treated the same way.  In fact
> that last message that I read on Neko talked about making it a
> subproject.  Has something changed?

Nothing's really changed but I was looking at the Jakarta
guidelines for new projects. A lot of it makes sense to me
and since there really isn't any "community" around NekoHTML
I'm stuck in a quasi-state between wanting it added to Xerces
and not minding if it's kept separate.

Of course, as all things in Open Source Land, the mob rules.
So if everyone still wants it to go forward for inclusion in
the Xerces codebase, let's do it. But let's figure out all of
the sub-project details first (e.g. HTML and WML DOMs; the
serializers; as well as future donations).

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org