xml-general mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Are you willing? (Re: does my project suck?)
Date Wed, 01 May 2002 12:13:09 GMT
From: "Russell White" <russwyte@yahoo.com>

> You may be referring to this http://www.api4java.com/
>
> There is another project call XMLTalk which is also similar.
>
> I did check this product out, it is commercial, and I found it to be very
> inflexible. It also did not handle marshalling of ui data very well, nor
did it
> provide an intuitive way to respond to events without compiling code.
>
> Among other things Swang does the following:
> 1) it will build any object model with XML.
> 2) you may invoke methods on your model.
> 3) you may listen for events and define what is to be done with them
within the
> XML. This is done using reflection and dynamic proxies. So almost any
event
> scenario is possible.
> 4) you may provide declaritive branching based on boolean methods using
the
> <condition> tag.
> 5) It allows you to mark objects as belonging to a form, when you do so
you
> tell swang which method to invoke to get that component's value. It then
> creates a map which includes the value for each component in the form.
This
> makes writing a front end to a MVC app that was initially developed for
the web
> very much easier.
>
> All of projects I have found so far are either closed, commercial, or
simply
> hard to use and not complete.
>
> Swang actually works.

Cool :-)

At Cocoonvand Avalon we need a GUI program to edit Avalon Excalibur
configuration files and I would like to use your project for it
(http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-cocoon2/src/webapp/WEB-INF/cocoon.xco
nf?rev=1.13&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN)

Nevertheless, your project still doesn't comply with the usual point needed
at Apache to be accepted: community, community, community ;-)

This is what I propose: come on the krysalis.org developers mailing list,
and we can start there to discuss and use Swang for Cocoon as is now needed.
I have some XML gui stuff that I could give Swang too.

I will put a link to your project page and help you get in synch with
current Apache-style project handling.

When community starts to form, you can swith to using a swang mailing list,
and then it will be time to propose the project for Apache.

This is basically what we helped project Jakarta POI to do, and the Krysalis
Project was created mainly with this aim.

What do you think, does it sound reasonable?

            - verba volant, scripta manent -