xml-general mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: Creation of Sub-Projects
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 13:10:23 GMT
At 5:22 PM +0900 4/12/02, Andy Clark wrote:

>For a long time, I would have liked to break out various pieces
>of Xerces into separate sub-projects. These include the HTML
>and WML DOM implementations as well as the XML serialization
>code. But we never answered the question about where these
>things live and how they are updated and/or integrated with
>the main Xerces codebase. Should they be in the xml-xerces
>module? In their own module? Or should they be hosted elsewhere?
>
>Anybody have thoughts on this topic?

My criterion for determining this would be whether these sub-projects
require changes in the core. For example, if supporting the WML DOM
somehow required that the code in org.apache.xerces.dom.DocumentImpl
or org.apache.xercecs.parsers.DOMParser change somehow, then it
belongs in the core. However, if it can be implemented purely as a
layer on top of the existing DOM implementation by a separate
developer group without two-way coordination between the core group
and the sub-project group, then it could be a separate project or a
sub-project.

Of course, sometime the changes in the core might be able to be made
more general than what's needed just for one sub-project. For
instance, DOMParser might use some sort of design pattern to
implement a lookup mechanism in the local classpath to find more
specific parsers once the root element was known so it could load a
WML parser for WML, and XHTML parser for XHTML, and so forth, using
the generic parser only if a more specific one wasn't available. In
this case, we might still want to keep WML/HTML/XHTML etc. outside
the main project.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |