xml-general mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: [Vote] Add NekoHTML to Xerces
Date Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:53:53 GMT
>There is clearly a need for an HTML parser that can produce
>standard XML APIs such as DOM trees and SAX events. My little
>NekoHTML parser uses the Xerces Native Interface (XNI) to
>implement this functionality and does a fair (but limited)
>job at it. Since there's been interest in having this kind
>of functionality in the parser package itself, I'm putting
>it to a vote of the Xerces developers.
>
>[Q] Should we add NekoHTML to the Xerces-J codebase?

I'm not an Apache developer so I don't get a vote ( :-( ) but I would
like to make a comment. As useful as a product like this is, I'm
worried that it confuses the difference between HTML and XML. I think
it should be its own project, but not be part of Xerces.

This would also allow Xerces and NekoHTML evolve more independently.
Xerces is already a large code base with a lot to test and debug
before each release. I think keeping these separate would be more in
keeping with the spirit of modular development.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |