xml-general mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@dff.st>
Subject Re: Creation of Sub-Projects
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:33:45 GMT
> Many of the people who responded to my recent call to vote on
> whether NekoHTML should be included with Xerces asked why this
> wasn't a separate project. So I'd like to take the time to
> discuss how we handle separate projects and/or sub-projects.
>
> For a long time, I would have liked to break out various pieces
> of Xerces into separate sub-projects. These include the HTML
> and WML DOM implementations as well as the XML serialization
> code. But we never answered the question about where these
> things live and how they are updated and/or integrated with
> the main Xerces codebase. Should they be in the xml-xerces
> module? In their own module? Or should they be hosted elsewhere?

I'd definitly like to see it in the apache repository! preferably within
xerces. In order to address the concerns of the latest "don't give me what
I don't want" and "it's too big" posts ;) I'd propose to just let ant
build different jars from the codebase. So you could have:

 xerces-core.jar (required)
 xerces-html.jar (optional: html dom and html parser)
 xml-apis.jar

So people can choose what they need and it's still integrated in xerces...
My 2 cents
--
Torsten