xml-general mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <stephane.baill...@haht.com>
Subject XML APIs in Xalan and Xerces
Date Tue, 16 Apr 2002 14:13:30 GMT
Hi all,

I did an update from Crimson 1.1.3 to Xerces 2.0.1 as the default parser
that will be shipped with Ant 1.5.
However I just noticed something:

Why do the XML APIs jar shipped with Xerces and Xalan has a different name
and a different content ?

I'm pleased that you were able to coordinate and extract the DOM/SAX/JAXP
classes from Xalan and Xerces as this is has been a common source of
duplication and problems from my experience (not rare to have more than 5
times the classes when you use XML related products for different things),
so this is a good thing.

But please, use the same name for the jar (xml-apis.jar is fine) and ship
the same classes.

I'm expecting reports from users that will have xml-apis.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar in their classpath and report problems, and we will have
to explain "oh you need xml-apis.jar' from xalan to make it work..and yes,
you can remove xmlParserAPIs.jar from Xerces"

I'm not expecting many people to actually look at the content of the jar and
say "oh, xmlParserAPIs is duplicating what's in xml-apis.jar, I can discard
this one".

My main concern is that I originally was ready to ship ONLY xerces and the
interfaces...but here I'm shipping half a JAXP..this does not make sense. So
users will have to add xalan.jar and xml-apis.jar.

Unless of course we ship xalan.jar, xml-apis.jar and xercesImpl.jar which I
would highly prefer

1) xalan and xerces are both useful de facto for Ant.
2) it will be way easier for users than to fight with versions (and us with
support:)

Thoughts ?

Stephane