xml-general mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: ?s on Native XML DBs and filesystem XML
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:45:24 GMT
little more clarification ( I am striving to keep this generic...)

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Paul Libbrecht wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This discussion interests me.
>> One point that you seem to entirely omit in your description is the
>> number (and size) of XML documents you intend to have in there...
>> otherwise, there's nothing that prevents you to load it all in ram...
>

> Sorry - there is one main config XML that would normally be 5k-100k.
> The rest are 1 to 50k (at most). My app is is mostly SAX with a few
> very small DOM nodesets rarely created to send as params to the
> transformation. I have been trying to keep memory low (I don't know
> why... :). Currently the app takes about 10MB (the app server takes
> about 10MB). Startup is currently very fast and things get accessed
> only when needed. Some files might get touched/changed a good deal
> (like the config files) some might be touched/changed once and never
> again (like content XML pieces).
>
> The app is kind-of simple on the java side (mainly triggers different
> types of transformations, sometimes a ContentHandler to fill in some
> blanks. I read everything from disk and write everything to disk. I
> assume this is a bad strategy if i want to scale up :) I want to know
> when this strategy breaks and then go to an XML DB (if that is what is
> appropriate).

The number of XML files could vary widely. Picture a web site and it's
web pages. Each part(unique area) of it's pages that looks like it could
be in a separate XML file would be. The parts are put together to form
the page -> to for the site. The number of total XML files per site
could be very small to very large. There are 4 config files per site.
Everything is transformed using a the main tool Templates cache. A site
can be generated to disk at anytime using the clients unique XSLT templates.

Does this confuse you more?? :(
-Rob