xml-general mailing list archives

From Robert Koberg <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: ?s on Native XML DBs and filesystem XML
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:38:41 GMT
Hi,

Paul Libbrecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This discussion interests me.
> One point that you seem to entirely omit in your description is the
> number (and size) of XML documents you intend to have in there...
> otherwise, there's nothing that prevents you to load it all in ram...

Sorry - there is one main config XML that would normally be 5k-100k. The
rest are 1 to 50k (at most). My app is is mostly SAX with a few very
small DOM nodesets rarely created to send as params to the
transformation. I have been trying to keep memory low (I don't know
why... :). Currently the app takes about 10MB (the app server takes
about 10MB). Startup is currently very fast and things get accessed only
when needed. Some files might get touched/changed a good deal (like the
config files) some might be touched/changed once and never again (like
content XML pieces).

The app is kind-of simple on the java side (mainly triggers different
types of transformations, sometimes a ContentHandler to fill in some
blanks. I read everything from disk and write everything to disk. I
assume this is a bad strategy if i want to scale up :) I want to know
when this strategy breaks and then go to an XML DB (if that is what is
appropriate).

best,
-Rob