xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creation of Sub-Projects
Date Sat, 13 Apr 2002 05:25:01 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> I really like this picture and I think that a killer feature of the
> Xerces build system would be to have a 'build minimal' that creates just
> a SAX non-validating parser (crimson-equivalent). I'm sure that with
> Xerces2 great modular design, this will be pretty easy to do (but I
> really don't know, Andy?).

Should be possible. XNI is completely free from dependencies
on other APIs specifically for this reason. Making sure that
the components are written in a layered approach free from
dependencies on other APIs takes more work. For example, the
XML Schema implementation depends on DOM but we don't have
an easy way to take this dependency into account during the
build process. Would be worth investigating, though...

> As for higher compression: keep in mind that classloading (thus
> application start) is much slower when the jars are compressed.

True.

> As for the subprojects, I would suggest Xerces to do 'internal
> subprojects' like Avalon or Turbine do on Jakarta. In this case, it will
> make perfect sense to have the HTML parser there.

Okay, I'll look into how they handle their sub-projects.

--
Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org