xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creation of Sub-Projects
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:21:37 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> > Many of the people who responded to my recent call to vote on
> > whether NekoHTML should be included with Xerces asked why this
> > wasn't a separate project. So I'd like to take the time to
> > discuss how we handle separate projects and/or sub-projects.
> >
> > For a long time, I would have liked to break out various pieces
> > of Xerces into separate sub-projects. These include the HTML
> > and WML DOM implementations as well as the XML serialization
> > code. But we never answered the question about where these
> > things live and how they are updated and/or integrated with
> > the main Xerces codebase. Should they be in the xml-xerces
> > module? In their own module? Or should they be hosted elsewhere?
>
> I'd definitly like to see it in the apache repository! preferably within
> xerces. In order to address the concerns of the latest "don't give me what
> I don't want" and "it's too big" posts ;) I'd propose to just let ant
> build different jars from the codebase. So you could have:
>
>  xerces-core.jar (required)
>  xerces-html.jar (optional: html dom and html parser)
>  xml-apis.jar
>
> So people can choose what they need and it's still integrated in xerces...

I really like this picture and I think that a killer feature of the
Xerces build system would be to have a 'build minimal' that creates just
a SAX non-validating parser (crimson-equivalent). I'm sure that with
Xerces2 great modular design, this will be pretty easy to do (but I
really don't know, Andy?).

As for higher compression: keep in mind that classloading (thus
application start) is much slower when the jars are compressed.

As for the subprojects, I would suggest Xerces to do 'internal
subprojects' like Avalon or Turbine do on Jakarta. In this case, it will
make perfect sense to have the HTML parser there.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.