xml-general mailing list archives

From Andy Clark <an...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Add NekoHTML to Xerces
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:13:22 GMT
Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Also not a voter, simply not understanding why this would not be a
> separate Apache product.

It certainly could be. But the implementation is directly
tied into Xerces2 because it takes advantage of the Xerces
Native Interface (XNI) framework. So that's what made me
think of adding it to the project directly -- especially
considering that we already have an HTML DOM implementation
as part of Xerces.

> It could terrible things, say, together with Jakarta ECS.

I'm not quite sure what "it could terrible things" means...

> And HTML parsers are needed everywhere...

But I certainly agree with this point.

> One simple application of it that is nowhere to be found in Apache
> libraries is an HTML link checker... Making it a separate product would
> bring interested parties to build such applications.

Excellent point.

It sounds like people are divided between including it with
Xerces and leaving it as a separate project. Perhaps this is
the critical mass we needed to fully explore how to handle
separate (but related) projects.

I'll start a separate thread for discussion.

Andy Clark * andyc@apache.org