xml-general mailing list archives

From Miguel A Paraz <...@free.net.ph>
Subject Re: How to start writing a non-blocking SAX parser
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:06:18 GMT

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 08:25:11AM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> 1) Use-Case:  A Non-blocking parser is used to kick off an XML stream to
>     another location.  IOW, we are not using the results of the stream in
>     this process.

I'm sorry but I do not understand this.
What do you mean by 'kicking off'?

I'm just going through the stream and calling the content handler in the
same way the blocking parse() method does.

> 2) Ease of implementation:  We can get the affect of a non-blocking
>     parser by running the parse in a background thread.  If we need DOM,
>     we use the concept of a Future (starts processing immediately in
>     another thread, and only blocks on the first call to the object).
>     SAX can be kicked off and left alone.

I would like to contain the processing within a single thread and leave it
up to clients to do threading if they wish.

> Keep in mind that some things like SAX and JAXP have standard interfaces
> that we simply cannot change.

I understand this.  I don't claim to follow the official SAX interface;
instead I'm using it as a base for my own.

Miguel A Paraz             <mparaz@mparaz.com>	Mobile: +63-916-423-7922
Imperium Technology, Inc.  <map@imperium.ph>	Office: +63-2-812-3155