xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: XML APIs in Xalan and Xerces
Date Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:51:17 GMT
OK, I really need to go back and read this thread.

>From my perspective, there is definite value in having a project to
supply just interfaces.  But everyone has their own opinion.  And we
hoped that the first major customers of xml-commons wouldn't be end
users, but would be the other Apache xml projects themselves - like how
Xalan simply periodically imports the latest xml-commons release,
instead of having to manage their DOM/SAX/JAXP code themselves.  The
point here was to try to get xml projects to have better coordination
(which is admittedly going very slowly).

Another question is ease of use: if you buy into xml-apis.jar, you only
have one jar for all your interfaces.  Other solutions would require
users to download and manage separate dom, sax, and jaxp jars, possibly
from different sources.  While this may sound easy, we've found plenty
of real-life users who find this many jars very annoying and who often
don't bother to get the right versions.

(I hope to find more time for this thread soon but my office is moving
next week, so...)

=====
- Shane

<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 .sig="Du sublime au ridicule il n'y a qu'un pas." />