xml-general mailing list archives

From "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creation of Sub-Projects
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:49:46 GMT
From: "Andy Clark" <andyc@apache.org>

> Many of the people who responded to my recent call to vote on
> whether NekoHTML should be included with Xerces asked why this
> wasn't a separate project. So I'd like to take the time to
> discuss how we handle separate projects and/or sub-projects.
>
> For a long time, I would have liked to break out various pieces
> of Xerces into separate sub-projects. These include the HTML
> and WML DOM implementations as well as the XML serialization
> code. But we never answered the question about where these
> things live and how they are updated and/or integrated with
> the main Xerces codebase. Should they be in the xml-xerces
> module? In their own module? Or should they be hosted elsewhere?
>
> Anybody have thoughts on this topic?

Just my 2eurocents as a Xerces user:

Many projects have resorted to bundling-using Crimson instead of Xerces
because it's a smaller download.
I would like to see Xerxes split up in smaller pieces, and xml-apis.jar is a
good first step in this direction.

Oh, and maybe using higher compression in the Xerces jar is not a bad idea
for decreased use of bandwith and disk space.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -