xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: About third-party software in ASF distributions
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:41:08 GMT
---- you Paul Libbrecht <paul@activemath.org> wrote ----
> Hey, hey, that would be new !

Actually, it's been there for several months.  We even have a web page
for xml-commons, although the project is still moving a bit slowly.

xml.apache.org/commons

> Can someone confirm this somewhere ??
> Which version of JAXP is this ??

You can confirm it yourself; xml-commons has two releases you can
download and it uses the same anoncvs and webcvs interfaces as other
projects.

Note the potential confusion: the code in xml-commons does not include
*any* version of JAXP - certainly not any official ones from Sun.  It
does include a full implementation of the JAXP specification using Java
code that carries the Apache license.  xml-commons strives to be a
common place for xml.apache.org projects to get copies of JAXP (and
SAX/DOM) code in a standard manner; you can do that today.

However, if you look at the CVS tags, you can kind of see which
versions of the files were used as the base of Sun's official JAXP
releases.  Of course Apacheites can't promise that our versions will
be/are the actual versions that Sun will ship with a particular version
x.y.z, but I'm betting in reality they're close.

Does that make any sense?  I know some of this seems esoteric, but the
details really are important - both for occasional compatibility
issues, and certainly for legal issues.

Oh, and the current xml-commons code is probably closest to the JAXP-RI
version 1.1.3.  For more JAXP version questions, see Edwin:
http://xml.apache.org/~edwingo/jaxp-faq.html

xml-commons also has a couple of nifty utilities, like
org.apache.env.Which and Norm Walsh's Catalog Resolver stuff.

=====
- Shane

<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 .sig="Du sublime au ridicule il n'y a qu'un pas." />