xml-general mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <shane_curc...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: About third-party software in ASF distributions
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:45:58 GMT
There are a number of people (although not me currently) working on
this kind of issue.

One comment about JAXP: in my non-lawyerly way, I'm presuming there is
no issue here.  The xml-commons project is how Xalan (and soon Xerces)
get their SAX/DOM/JAXP code. The actual source files for the
javax.xml.parsers and javax.xml.transform packages are checked into the
xml-commons repository with the Apache license - so I don't see why you
can't use this implementation just like any other Apache software.  I
guess I'm not seeing why most people can't just ignore the licensing
issues with the JAXP specification, and just happily use xml-commons'
implementation thereof and just use the Apache license.

(Since a Sun engineer checked in the xml-commons/.../javax files and
has confirmed that they should have the Apache license, I'm pretty sure
it was not a mistake).

And my other non-lawyerly comments are that SAX is a no brainer, and
the DOM license seems pretty permissive as long as you're just using it as-is.

=====
- Shane

<eof aka="mailto:shane_curcuru@us.ibm.com"
 .sig="Du sublime au ridicule il n'y a qu'un pas." />