xml-general mailing list archives

From Elliotte Rusty Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject RE: version numbers in jars
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:15:29 GMT
At 8:27 AM -0500 2/21/02, Glen Daniels wrote:
>Axis contains an org.apache.axis.Version class, which has a
>getVersionString() method and a main() which prints the version info
>to System.out.  The version string comes from a resource file, and
>is automatically updated by our ant build each time the jar is put
>together.  Being a SOAP engine, we also expose a SOAP service called
>"Version" which allows remote querying of the Axis version.

All of which is well and good, but doesn't really help me when I'm
looking at my ext directory in Explorer and trying to figure out
which jar I've got or whether I'm replacing it with which version.
This is especially true since I've got dozens of jar archives and
although many do something like this, no two do it the same way.

All I'm asking for is that the version number be clearly placed in
the filename where everyone can see it immediately; e.g.
axis-1.0.jar, axis-2.0b2.jar, etc. In a few cases it's also necessary
for the distributor to be included as well; for instance
sun-jce-1.3.jar, cryptix-jce-1.3.jar, etc.

It's a minor point, but I don't think it will hurt anybody; it isn't
hard to implement; and it even if it only saves developers a few
minutes a week, that time adds up when summed over all the developers
who use these jars.