xml-general mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [3rd party jar] crimson-ant
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 21:50:18 GMT

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Shane Curcuru wrote:

> Yes, I think legally we do have to include the licenses for other
> apache jars that each subproject re-ships.  In some ways it's silly,
> but remember with 1.1 of the license, the name of the subproject (Ant,
> Xerces, etc.) actually appears (or should appear) in the text of the
> license, so each subproject technically has it's own license that is
> different than every other subproject's.

Yep.

> Even if it's only that one word in section 4. of the license, they are
> different files.  Lawyers seem to be really picky that way...

This is exactly the issue. Perfect summary.

Note that should folks have a very strong desire to fix this - the mailing
list 'license@apache.org' has been working on fixing this very issue in
versions 1.2 or 2.0 of the license. And you are welcome to scrutinize what
is done there sofar - and help asses if this fixes the issues for the
future whilst being workable.

My personal take on this is - lets do anything we can to minimize the pain
for the developers - whilst being accurate enough to ensure that the ASF
can provide those developers the most effictive and complete legal
shielding and assistance. But like in any engineering efford - there are
compromizes to be struck.

Dw.