xml-general mailing list archives

From Aleksander Slominski <as...@cs.indiana.edu>
Subject Re: version numbers in jars
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 20:24:42 GMT
hi,

sometimes you may need a different set of jars to compile project and to run
samples or tests.

what worked very well for our projects is to have two level hierarchy

lib/
    ant/
        ant-1.4.1.jat
        parser.jar
        <all other ant jars>
        README
        LICENSE
    castor/
        castor-0.9.3.9.jar
        README
        LICENSE

then we have a classpath.sh and classpath.bat scripts that set different CLASSPATH
depending on mode of usage: compile, run etc. such layout allows easily to update
jars and also to keep coupled jars and licensing info (LICENSE) and where they were
taken from (project location) and how to get the latest version (README).

we keep such directories even if we can not distribute JAR files but we have README
on how to obtain them and as soon as the user will copy required jars to correct
location they will be picked up automatically (all jars are picked up ie.
lib/<project>/*.jar).

if you are interested in an example of such working setup please see.
    http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/xgws/xsoap/rmi/download/xsoap_1_2/

hope you find it useful.

alek