xml-general mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: version numbers in jars
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 20:43:03 GMT
Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> [Berin Loritsch]
>

>>Thomas B. Passin wrote:
>>
>>>any given app finds the right version?
>>>

>>For some jars like Xerces/Xalan, if you code to the plugable API (aka
>>JAXP), you only need to upgrade the jar--no recompilation or refactoring
>>needed.
>>
>>For others, like the Commons Logging API change recently, this approach
>>becomes messier.
>>

> Yes... and I'm asking about the case where different apps need different
> versions of the jar, but the interfaces are still the same (or isn't that a
> problem in practice?)

As long as the interfaces remain constant, the general implication is
that the implementation will not break the apps.  In the case of Xerces/
Xalan, you should not experience any negative side effects from moving
up in version numbers.  The only possible problems that you might expect
to arise are tightening of contracts.  For instance, if you have an
illegal construct in a stylesheet that was tolerated in a previous
version of Xalan, you can expect a future version of Xalan to detect
that and throw an exception.

This works for APIs that are standards such as JAXP, componentized
software, etc.  It does not work well for application library code.
I would not advise it for Batik or FOP due to the fact that the
standards that they are being written to support are still being
refined (or are recently finalized).

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin